Do Thinx work? Let me tell you my honest review after using them for 3 years. I started to use Thinx period underwear in 2017. I purchased 3 at first because of their 10% discount. Soon after, I bought 3 more. After 3 years, I’m still using these 6 Thinx period underwear – Yes, they work and I recommend them! 😎
They are so comfortable and, as Thinx says in their advertisement, Thinx “helps me period better!” It’s hard to find products that deliver their promises these days. (Good job, Thinx!)
The six pairs of Thinx underwear I’m using now are 4 Thinx Hiphuggers for the day time everyday during my period, one Thinx Highwaist for when I go to bed, and one Thinx Sport to use in combination with Thinx Hiphuggers on my lightest day.
Why Do I Recommend Thinx Period Underwear？
I had always used pads for my period until I found Thinx in 2017. In Taiwan, where I’m from, pads are a lot more common than tampons. I’m glad I don’t have to use either anymore, because I never like the feeling of a tampon, and pads are just not comfortable, no matter how thin they are.
Why I recommend Thinx period underwear:
- They really work!：Imagine simply wearing a pair of regular underwear during your period – It feels like that! Maybe even more comfortable!
- They fit well：The design of the shape of Thinx underwear fits really well to my body, and they still do after 3 years! No worries for leaking from the sides!
- They last for years：After 3 years, Thinx period underwear still feels almost new – the absorbency, the elastics, everything!
- They are easy to take care of：Wash them like how you wash other clothes. They go in washing machines too! Remember, hang dry them instead of machine tumble dry.
Do Thinx Really work?
Yes, they do! They really don’t leak as long as you know your flow. Let me explain.
Thinx won’t leak from the bottom because of its leak-resistant layer, the outer-most layer. Thinx also doesn’t leak from the sides when you walk around or even when you exercise because the design in the gusset part (in your crotch) fits really well.
However, if you go over the load of what one pair of Thinx can hold, then it leaks. This is the same for using pads, tampons, and mooncups. This is why knowing your flow is so important.
When buying pads, the packages usually indicate the absorbency with different amount of droplets, right? Thinx does the same to help you decide what works the best for you. You can see this on Thinx official website.
For example, my period usually lasts for 5 days. I wear Thinx Hiphuggers everyday during the daytime. I have to change more often on the first day, my heaviest day. When I go to bed, I wear Thinx High-waist because it makes me feel more secure. On my lightest day, the 4th and the 5th days, I use both Thinx Hiphuggers and Thinx Sport.
Can Thinx Really Replace Pads and Tampons？
Almost 100% for me。When I’m not traveling, I don’t need pads and tampons anymore. Sometimes, if my Thinx underwear isn’t dried yet due to the high humidity, I will have to use 1-2 pads during the period. This rarely happens.
If my heaviest day happens to be the day that I am going to camp out in the wild or take a long-distance bus, I use pads and Thinx as a backup.
Is the Absorbency Estimation on Thinx’s Website Accurate?
Yes. For example, when I used to use pads, I used 5-6 pads on my heaviest day。Now, I use 4 pairs of Thinx Hiphuggers on my heaviest day。
Thinx introduced a new series of period underwear, Thinx Super Hiphuggers and Thinx Super Highwaist, that can hold up to 4 tampons’ worth! They also have a series of cotton period underwear, which is the one that I am going to try when I’m going to get new Thinx!
Do Thinx Feel Thick？
No. The part where the gusset (the part in your crotch) is feels thicker than regular underwear, but it is not thick. Definitely a lot thinner than your pads! The cloth used in the gusset part is flexible, so it doesn’t have the uncomfortable bulky feeling when wearing it.
Do Thinx Smell Bad？
This was my biggest concern before I committed to buying my first 3 pairs of Thinx period underwear. After 3 years, I can tell you that Thinx do not smell bad or have odor after using it. This is probably because of the ordor-controling layer which contains non-migratory silver. There’s more details about this on the FAQ page on Thinx official website.
During my period, I bring extra pairs in my purse for changing. I put the ones I changed out of into a little bag in my purse and wash all of them together when I get home. When I take them out to wash, they smell like nothing other than blood.
After using Thinx for three years, period leaves no odor in the underwear. Except for some discoloration from drying them out in the sun, my Thinx underwear feels almost like new.
Are Thinx Hygenic?
As mentioned in the official website of Thinx, each Thinx period underwear has 4 layers. In the third layer, it “has an application of non-migratory silver, commonly used in performance wear and medical devices to control odor and the spread of bacteria.” There’s more details about this on the FAQ page on Thinx official website, under the question “Are Thinx hygenic?”
How Do Thinx Handle Menstrual Clots？
I thought this was a great xcb vthat my friend asked me. My experience has showed that Thinx still don’t leak when I hc xzaZ08765ave blood clots. It also doesn’t make the underwear fit less comfortably. I still change out my period underwear when it happens though, just like I would with pads, so it doesn’t feel uncomfortable.
Why Don’t I Use Mooncups？
I’m in full support of mooncups! Despite of their plasticky feel and having to leave something in my vagina, I was till really interested in trying it. My decision of ending up not using it was too personal to announce it here. Email me if you really want to know.
Disadvantages of Thinx
- Can’t put them in a dryer：This means they dry pretty slow in a humid place. For example, when I am in Taiwan, sometimes my Thinx dry too slow after my first heaviest day, and I have to use 1 or 2 pad on my second day before some of my Thinx dry. Thinx does have Thinx Air series that has a even lighter material that is going to dry faster. I’m ready to give them a try soon!
Why Do I Still Recommend Thinx After 3 Years?
- Thinx Makes My Period Feel Shorter: Thinx makes me forget about the existence of my period. Aside from my heaviest day when I have to change more often, I live a normal life on all the other days. A lot of the minor stresses just went away, such as worrying about leaking constantly, worrying about pads moving around, leaving something in my vagina, worrying about the sound of tearing the package of pads open, et. With Thinx, period finally feels like it’s not a big deal anymore.
- Thinx Allow Me to Create Less Trash：Take my experience as an example, my period usually lasts 5 days. I usually use about 20 pads during one period. That is 240 pads in one year. These disposable pads, like disposable utensils, are such unnecessary burden for our environment. It takes me only about 2 minutes to wash each pair of Thinx. I can also put it in a washing machine if I want. Creating less trash makes me feel a lot more free.
- Thinx Save Me Money：I have 6 pairs of Thinx and they cost me about US$200. After using them for three years, I spend about US$5.5 a month on average on my period. This is already cheaper than buying pads every month in the US. Plus, I can for sure continue using these 6 pairs for a few more years – definitely helps for saving money in the long run! Moreover, Thinx are so much more comfortable compared to pads and tampons, and I’m creating less trash in the meantime!
Ready to Try Thinx Period Underwear?
Start browsing different styles on the official website of Thinx!
Get a discount at checkout if you use my special discount link!
On top of that discount, you can get up to 20% off if you buy 3 pairs or more in one order!
Plus, it’s risk-free: try them for 60 days. If you don’t like them, you can return them and get a full refund!
Join my Thinx Facebook group to see other people’s experiences and stay on top of each official promotions!
Feel free to reach out to me on Instagram if you have more questions. Happy to answer your Thinx questions!